Upper Red Lake (04003501) is located near Waskish, Minnesota, in Beltrami County. Upper Red has 120,000 acres of surface area and a maximum depth of 15 feet. The Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians controls 60% of Upper Red Lake, a total of 72,000 acres. The state of Minnesota controls the remaining 40%, a total of 48,000 acres.
Commercial fishery heavily exploited walleye stocks in this lake for many decades. The collapse of the Red Lakes walleye population in the mid 1990s was quite a story, and the cooperative recovery effort is an even better story. There are still catch limits, but walleye now thrive again.
Fishing varieties on Upper Red Lake include black crappie, burbot, freshwater drum, lake whitefish, northern pike, shorthead redhorse, walleye, white sucker, and yellow perch.
||Temperature||32° F||Sunrise||6:00 pm|
|Feels Like||23° F||Sunset||6:00 pm|
|Barometer||30.29||NE Wind||11 mph|
|Dewpoint||17° F||Gusts||16 mph|
|Reported at Waskish Municipal Airport, MN Mar 24 2019, 12:56 pm CDT|
See all the Upper Red Lake Weather including the 7 Day Forecast of high and low temps with precipitation and nightly moon phases. [ all the weather ]
See all the Upper Red Lake Maps including a handy geocoder to find coordinates for any location in the area, on or off the lake. You can toggle between highway maps, terrain maps and satellite maps. [ all the maps ]
Upper Red Lake is one of the bigger lakes in Minnesota, along with it's counterpart Lower Red Lake. The unorganized lake is shared between the State of Minnesota and the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians. Although there isn't a very large local population, Upper Red Lake is a very popular vacation spot for tourists and visitors. There are plenty of activities to enjoy on the lake and in the surrounding area ranging from fishing, hunting, camping, hiking and biking, swimming, and shopping, to simply relaxing at a any of the nearby resorts.
Upper Red Lake offers world class fishing, which attracts fishermen from all over the state who are looking to catch one of the big trophy fish. Hunting is another popular activity in the Upper Red Lake area because there are two nearby State forests. The abundance of trees and plantlife provided by these forests, are the perfect opportunity for hunters to find the perfect Whitetail Deer or Ruffed Grouse, as well as various waterfowl and other wildlife creatures.
The Big Bog State Recreation Area is located in Waskish, Minnesota, just a short drive away from Upper Red Lake. The Recreation Area has been known as Minnesota's last true wilderness, because there is so much unique wildlife that has been preserved. There are a lot of fun activities to enjoy year-round. There are trails for hiking, snowmobiling ,and snowshoeing that run through picnic areas throughout the Recreation Area. There is also an interpretive exhibit with displays scattered all across the Big Bog Bordwalk and throughout the park. Because the Park covers 9,459 acres Big Bog is separated by geography into two parts:
The northern unit contains the huge bog that is home to a variety of native plants, some of which are on the endangered species list. There is also a mile-long boardwalk that allows visitors to expand their nature experience and appreciate the various unique creatures, plantlife, and rare resources. The Big Bog State Recreation Area is open for hunting and trapping, just not near the boardwalk or areas populated with visitors.
The southern unit is where the campground sandy beach, picnic grounds, and fishing take place. There campground offers 31 campsites located along the Tamarac River and just a short distance from Upper Red Lake. There are also 5 cabins with electricity and heating. There is a shower building, along with flush and vault toilets available for all campers on the campground, but there is not a dump station for RVers.
Also located in Waskish is Bear Paw Guides, a family operated and owned business that excels in bear hunting, all-season fishing, and duck hunting. The Bear Paw Guides crew loves helping visitors be successful in obtaining their hunt goal. With bear hunting, the guides bait and monitor the bait station, along with tracking, retrieving, and skinning the bear. With duck hunting, the guides provide decoys, transportation, and coffee. There are numerous places to look for ducks, whether it be the waters of Upper Red Lake a flooded rice field, or a trip up the river. Bear Paw Guides also offer cabins and ice fishing houses for rent.
Top real estate brokers and agents showcase their Lake Homes For Sale on Upper Red Lake and other nearby lakes. You may just find that Dream Home you have been looking for! [ all the lake homes for sale ]
Look here for Upper Red lakeshore land and building lots. Find the perfect spot on Upper Red Lake and other nearby lakes for recreational acreage or to build your future lake home. [ all the lake lots for sale ]